Cal State FullertonTitan Voices
Titan Voices

Honored to Help During Pandemic

Posted on: May 15, 2020 in Student Stories by Bryan Ruef
COVID-19 Vlog: CSUF Student, EMT Witnesses Pandemic First-Hand

“I’m so honored to be able to help public safety and first responders across our nation, do their job with my software. At this time of need, they need software that works for them and works under any condition, including a pandemic.”

Bryan Ruef, CSUF student and entrepreneur

Working as an EMT during this pandemic has really been eye-opening for me. We see this playing out on the news and we don’t really get the full picture, at least I didn’t, until you see it from the front lines.

As EMS, we see patients who are having difficulty breathing all day, every day. That’s nothing new, regardless of the pandemic. What is new is the lingering question of, does this patient have coronavirus? And that creates a whole new sense of anxiety over the entire healthcare field.

Adding to this anxiety is the nationwide PPE (personal protection equipment) shortage. Agencies across the country are having to change their traditional uses of PPE in order to maximize their use. At one point, we even replaced protective gowns with our jackets because supplies were so short. Luckily, the company that I work for is pretty well-stocked on supplies now, but there’s still that lingering anxiety of, will this last?

Call volume has actually decreased significantly. A lot of patients aren’t going to the hospital because they’re scared of catching coronavirus while they’re there. We’re even encouraging a lot of our noncritical 911 calls to stay home because, sometimes it could be more dangerous to go to the ER than to just stay at home.

I’m so honored to be able to help public safety and first responders across our nation, do their job with my software. At this time of need, they need software that works for them and works under any condition, including a pandemic. I’m really honored to be able to provide that with our company, 10-8 Systems.

Post Tags

a man in a suit

Bryan Ruef is a Cal State Fullerton student, entrepreneur and part-time emergency medical technician. Ruef developed a cloud-based dispatch system called 10-8 Systems, that helps first responders managing emergencies.

Comments